Bryan K. Wheelock
Mr. Wheelock's practice includes preparation and prosecution of patent and trademark applications and drafting of intellectual property agreements, including non-compete agreements. He has brought and defended lawsuits in federal and state courts relating to intellectual property and has participated in seizures of counterfeit and infringing goods.
Mr. Wheelock prepares and prosecutes U.S. and foreign patent applications for medical devices, mechanical and electromechanical devices, manufacturing machinery and processes, metal alloys and other materials. He also does a substantial amount of patentability searching, trademark availability searching and patent and trademark infringement studies.
In addition to his practice at Harness Dickey, he is an Adjunct Professor at Washington University School of Law and Washington University School of Engineering.
EducationJ.D., Washington University in St. Louis
B.S.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Duke University
Honors & Distinctions
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars: 2014
- Trademark Law "Lawyer of the Year": 2015
- U.S. News and World Report, Best Lawyers, Patent Law and Trademark Law: 2011-2015
- Missouri Super Lawyers: 2007-2008, 2011-2014
- St. Louis Magazine's, Best Lawyers: 2012
- American Intellectual Property Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- International Trademark Association-The Trademark Reporter Committee
Mr. Wheelock is a frequent guest speaker on topics relating to intellectual property.
- "Strategic Perspectives: TTAB results not a guarantee of district court performance", IP Law Daily
- "6 Reasons Inter Partes Review Was Popular In 2013", Law360
- "A Look At 1st Year Stats On Inter Partes Review", Law360
- "What We've Learned From 9 Months Of Inter Partes Reviews", Law360
- "The Role of Design Patents In A Comprehensive Intellectual Property Plan"
- "Means for Better Patent Prosecution"
In The News
- "Federal Circuit¹s Rule 36 Affirmances of PTAB Appeals Causing Frustration," Managing Intellectual Property, September 25, 2015
- “Strategic Perspectives: The pros and cons of the proposed PATENT Act”, IP Law Daily, June 25, 2015
- “Uncertainty Over PTAB Remand After First Federal Circuit Reversal”, Managing Intellectual Property, June 23, 2015
- “Federal Circuit reverses PTAB invalidation of patent for first time citing unreasonably broad claims construction”, The Patent Investor, June 22, 2015
- “Attorneys React To Supreme Court Patent Royalties Case”, Law360, June 22, 2015
- "Federal Circuit Rules in Two PTAB Appeals”, The Recorder, June 17, 2015
- “In 1st AIA Reversal, Fed. Circ. Finds Patent Wrongly Axed”, Law360, June 16, 2015
- “Patent attorney argues PATENT Act still not the best approach to reform”, Legal Newsline, May 18, 2015
- "Strategic Perspectives: TTAB results not a guarantee of district court performance", IP Law Daily, March 27, 2015
- "Attorneys React To Supreme Court's TTAB Preclusion Ruling", Law360, March 24, 2014
- "Forces Converge to Make Trademark Law Hot", Of Counsel newsletter
In the News
Bryan K. WheelockPrincipal
St. Louis Metro Office
Material & Chemical
Mechanical & Electromechanical
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office