David P. Utykanski
Mr. Utykanski's practice is primarily concentrated on counseling and assisting clients in obtaining, evaluating, enforcing and exploiting intellectual property rights, including patents and trade secrets. Areas of his technological expertise include, sensors, controls and switches, hermetic feed-thrus, automobile entertainment systems, mobile computer workstations, automobile internal combustion engines, medical devices and appliance components.
Mr. Utykanski has broad experience in all aspects of patent litigation and arbitration, including trial practice, deposition practice, Markman claim construction, and preparation of pleadings, motions and discovery. His case experience expands across a wide range of technologies, including automobile navigation systems, automobile parking assist systems, prosthetic implants, automobile bumper facia manufacturing and multi-function mirror assemblies, fuel pumps, tubing quick-connects, readi-to-bake cookie dough, and reusable packaging devices.
Prior to practicing law, he worked as a design engineer for a leading defense contractor and manufacturer of battle tanks for the U.S. military. He also worked as a mechanical application engineer for a producer of interactive graphics systems used for design, manufacturing and engineering analysis.
- Permalite Ind., Inc. v. Geauga Co. and Carlisle Corp. Read More »
- DePuy, Inc. v. Biomet, Inc. and Roy C. Wiley Read More »
- Therm-O-Disc, Inc. v. Maatuk Read More »
- Helix Medical, LLC and Hansa Medical Products, Inc. v. ATOS Medical Inc. and ATOS Medical AB Read More »
- Freudenberg Filtration Technologies LP v. Camfil AB and Camfil Farr, Inc. Read More »
- Venture Industries and VEMCO, Inc. v. Himont USA, Inc. Read More »
- Honeywell International, Inc. vs. DENSO Corporation et. al Read More »
- Honeywell International, Inc. vs. Furuno Electric Co. Ltd., et al. Read More »
- DENSO Corporation and DENSO Intíl. America, Inc., v. Honeywell Intíl. Inc. Read More »
- Delaware Capital Formation, Inc. and CPI Products, Inc. v. Norgren Automation Solutions, Inc. (E.D. Mich.) Read More »
- Flo Healthcare Solutions, LLC v. Rioux Vision, Inc. (N.D. Ga.) Read More »
- Nestle USA, Inc. v. Sara Lee Bakery Group (N.D. Ohio) Read More »
- Certain Automotive Multimedia Display and Navigation Systems, Components Thereof, and Products Containing Same Read More »
- Powerhouse Marks, L.L.C. v. Costco Wholesale Corp., et al. Read More »
- Pollock v. Thunderline-Z, Inc. Read More »
- Pumpkin Ltd. v. HMS Mfg. Co Read More »
EducationJ.D., University of Detroit
B.S.M.E., General Motors Institute
Honors & Distinctions
- Top Lawyer, dbusiness Magazine, 2010
- Martindale® Peer Review, AV Rated®
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association
- "Admissibility of Expert Witness Testimony In Federal Court," LACHES, March 2000.
- The Application of Electromagnetic Weapons to Main Battle Tanks, undergraduate thesis.
David P. UtykanskiPrincipal
Detroit Metro Office
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
District Court of Colorado
Eastern District of Michigan
Western District of Michigan
Northern District of Ohio