By Tyson B. Benson, Associate
Detroit patent attorney Tyson Benson is scheduled to be a speaker at the upcoming Iowa Intellectual Property Law Association 2017 Annual Meeting and CLE taking place October 6 in Des Moines, Iowa. Benson’s presentation will focus on breaking down 112(f) after Williamson and related issues.
Since Williamson, patentees must meet a higher standard of review by sufficiently disclosing the functional basis for software. More specifically, the patentee must disclose the technical algorithm that performs the stated function. The presentation will cover the following areas:
- Review the Williamson decision and what it means to patent portfolios
- Overview of mean-plus-function claim drafting in the various arts
- Benefits and challenges of means-plus-function/functional claim drafting in light of Williamson
- Understanding when §112(f) applies to claims even when no “means” language is present
- Impact on software patents
- Review examples of real claims
To learn more, and to register for the event, please visit the IIPLA website.