Joshua A. Partington (Josh)
Associate / Washington, D.C. Metro Office
Josh’s practice includes trademark, copyright and unfair competition law. He works with clients of all sizes and at all stages of the IP life cycle. This ranges from advising start-ups and small business owners on their first trademark, to helping some of the largest private companies in the U.S. maintain and enforce their intellectual property rights.
Josh helps clients with their trademark and copyright needs from the inception of an idea all the way through registration and enforcement. This includes counseling on the selection of marks, trademark search and clearance, and registration in the U.S. and around the world. With much of his work being international in nature, Josh helps guide many foreign clients through the unfamiliar waters of the USPTO and U.S. Copyright Office’s application and registration maintenance procedures. In addition, he represents clients in appeals and contested proceedings before the USPTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- "The Impact of Lenz and Fair Use on Online Trademark Enforcement,” Bloomberg BNA Electronic Commerce & Law Report, March 23, 2016
- Supreme Court Set to Decide if USPTO Can Make Patent and Trademark Applicants Pay Its Attorneys’ Fees in Civil Actions
- Filing of Cancellation Prior to Registration’s Fifth Anniversary Allows Later Addition of Otherwise Time-Barred Non-use Claim
- Trademark applicant’s Twitter account not service mark use for social media services
Josh works with clients to have U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) seize counterfeit goods and to provide CBP with additional resources to ensure that counterfeit goods never reach the U.S. marketplace. Because so much of that marketplace is now online, Josh is active in helping clients with issues relating to e-commerce and social media. He has significant experience handling infringing domain names in Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) and other similar proceedings before a host of different arbitration forums.
- International Trademark Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Virginia State Bar, IP Section
J.D., George Mason University, 2011
B.A., College of William and Mary, 2005
Bar & Court Admissions
Eastern District of Virginia