Michael J. Thomas (Mike)
Principal / St. Louis Metro Office
Michael is a patent and trademark law expert with more than twenty years’ experience obtaining, protecting and enforcing his clients’ most important intellectual property assets. His practice includes worldwide patent and trademark preparation and prosecution, patent and trademark portfolio management, infringement and validity opinions, licensing, and related litigation. He has considerable experience in handling patent and trademark litigation in federal courts and Inter Partes Reviews (IPRs) at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Michael has argued successfully before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and before the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Business partners and clients around the globe trust Michael to safeguard everything from their newest innovations to their valuable brands and trade dress. His patent practice focuses on the electrical, mechanical, electromechanical, business methods, control systems, software, biomedical and computer arts.
- Trademarks & Service Marks
- IP Litigation
- PTAB Proceedings
- IP Transactions
Before attending law school, Michael worked as an electrical engineer for McDonnell Douglas Corporation.
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
- Best Lawyers, Patent Law, 2018-2019
- Best Lawyers, Copyright Law, 2019
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly, “Best Patent Attorney,” 2018
- St. Louis University Public Law Review, Editor
- Martindale® Peer Review, AV Rated®
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL), past Board of Governors member, past Chairman of the Patent, Trademark & Copyright Section
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
J.D., cum laude, Saint Louis University School of Law, 1995
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit