Robert J. Lenihan (Bob)
Principal / Detroit Metro Office
Bob is a highly experienced and proven litigator at both the trial and appellate court levels. With more than four decades of experience in complex federal and state litigation and dispute resolution, Bob has prosecuted and defended complex claims involving into the hundreds of millions of dollars. In addition to his experience in intellectual property dispute resolution, Bob has been involved in general corporate defense, licensing litigation and product liability defense. He has also argued several cases of first impression involving litigation of non-competition agreements and trade secrets at the trial and appellate levels.
Sincere, hard-working and thoroughly prepared, Bob’s direct communication style is consistently appreciated by clients and colleagues alike. Bob is valued for his candor, and the solutions he offers to seemingly inextricable acrimony. Bob is particularly well-versed not only in the variety of technical and scientific subject matter involved in IP related disputes, but also at converting such complex information into easily-understood straight-talk.
- Honeywell International v. Furuno Co. Ltd., et al.
- Certain Automotive Multimedia Display and Navigation Systems, Components Thereof, and Products Containing Same
- Jarvis Products Corporation v. Durand International S.A.
- Bliss Clearing Niagara, Inc. v. Midwest Brake Bond Co.
- Babcock & Wilcox Co. v. Tidelands Oil Production Co., et al.
- Perceptron v. Sensor Adaptive Machines
- Perceptron Inc. and Ford Motor Co. v. FORI Automation Inc.
In the News
- Troy Principal Robert Lenihan Named a Health Care Hero by Crain's Detroit Business
- "Worth toasting: Firm's IP team receives $1.2 million fee award," LegalNews, March 13, 2014
- "Harness Dickey Appoints New General Counsel," DBusiness Magazine, March 7, 2014
Bob is frequently invited to speak before various legal, civic, educational and military organizations.
Alternative dispute resolution has long been a significant aspect of Bob’s practice. His expertise as a trial lawyer has readily translated into the successful representation of clients in arbitration and mediation proceedings. In addition, his diplomacy and negotiation abilities have resulted in the swift resolution of disputes. Bob’s clients appreciate his commitment to resolving their disputes without resorting to litigation when and where it is in their best interest to do so.
A Principal of Harness Dickey, Bob currently serves as General Counsel to the Firm.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers, Litigation — Intellectual Property, 2013-2019
- Leading Lawyers, named a “Leading Lawyer” for Intellectual Property, 2014-2018
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property Litigation, 2007-2018
- DBusiness Magazine, “Top Lawyer,” Litigation — Intellectual Property, 2016-2017
- Crain’s Detroit Business, “Health Care Hero,” 2016
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated for 30 Consecutive Years
- Honors Moot Court, National Team
- Order of Barristers
- Robert S. Marks Legal Scholar
- Wayne Law Alumni Prize
- Wayne Scholarship Key
- American Arbitration Association, National Panel of Arbitrators
- American Bar Association, Committee on Litigation
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Judicature Society
- Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Birmingham Education Foundation, past Trustee and President
- Crittenton Hospital Medical Center, Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Federal Bar Association
- IP American Inns of Court, Master of the Bench
- Michigan Bar Association
- Michigan Defense Counsel
- Michigan Patent Lawyers Association
- Oakland County Bar Association, Federal Law Committee
- Oakland County BAR Foundation, Fellow
- Reserve Officers Association of the United States
Bob served over twenty years in the U.S. Army and Army Reserve, Field Artillery, where he rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and commanded a heavy field artillery battalion and was the operations officer of a heavy field artillery brigade. He has received numerous awards and decorations, including:
- Meritorious Service Medal, twice awarded
- Order of Military Merit
J.D., cum laude, Wayne State University, 1972
B.S., Xavier University, 1969
Bar & Court Admissions
Michigan Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals
- Federal Circuit
- Sixth Circuit
U.S. Federal District Courts
- ED of Michigan
- WD of Michigan
- ND of Ohio
- SD of Ohio
- WD of Oklahoma
- D of Colorado
- CD of Illinois
- D of Massachusetts (PHV)
- CD of California (PHV)
- D of Minnesota (PHV)
- D of Idaho (PHV)
- ED of Texas (PHV)
- ED of Missouri (PHV)