Robert M. Siminski (Bob)
Principal / Detroit Metro Office
Bob drafts, prosecutes, enforces, and licenses patents primarily in the chemical and mechanical arts. Bob also focuses on intellectual property related due diligence, portfolio management and analyses, strategic counseling, valuations, opinions, and litigation support.
A significant portion of Bob’s practice involves counseling clients on patent strategies in Asian jurisdictions. As a longstanding Vice Chair of the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) Asian Practice Committee (APC), Bob meets with business leaders and patent office directors from China, India, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan, among other countries, on a regular basis. He also travels to Asia frequently and meets face to face with clients and law firm partners. As a result, Bob has a deep understanding of the ever-changing IP landscape and business trends that affect innovative companies in Asia as well as U.S. companies doing business in Asia.
In his third decade of practice, Bob has obtained literally thousands of patents for his clients. Bob has drafted and prosecuted chemical patents relating to adhesives, lithium ion batteries, coatings, conductive materials, films, foams, glass, nanotechnology, pharmaceuticals and small molecules. On the mechanical side, Bob has obtained patents for dental and medical devices, personal care products, athletic equipment, fastening systems, games and toys, tools, microvalves and solar technology, as well as oil and natural gas exploration and extraction technologies.
- Trademarks & Service Marks
- IP Litigation
- IP Transactions
- PTAB Proceedings
- Crorey Creations Ltd. V. Cracker Barrel OCS
- Buntrock Industries v. Nalco Chemical Company
- Shield Technologies, Inc. v. Transhield Inc.
- Powerhouse Marks, L.L.C. v. Costco Wholesale Corp., et al.
- CITO Products, Inc. v. R.E. Promotion Services Limited and Injection Molding Industries
In the News
- "Who’s Winning: Big Law Moving into IP Practice or IP Boutiques Holding Their Own?" IPWatchdog, November 7, 2016
- Robert Siminski has been re-appointed Vice Chair of the Asian Practice Committee of the Intellectual Property Owners Association
- "The Imitation Game," Asia IP, February 2015
- "Lawyers Weigh In On High Court's Patent Indefiniteness Ruling," Law360, June 2, 2014
- Two Harness Dickey Patent Attorneys Join Panel Talks at IPO Annual Meeting
- IPO 44th Annual Meeting in New York City
- IPO Asian Practice Committee — Innovation Dialogue meetings in China, India, Japan and Korea, 2008 – 2020
Bob’s clients appreciate that he gets to the point. He is concise, direct, and does not waste their time. They also value his dedication not only to providing outstanding legal counsel, but also for respecting their budgets. Whenever possible, Bob’s objective is to help his clients avoid disputes by identifying and resolving problems and obstacles early on. However, when disputes do arise, he has also been able to build bridges to settlement, on multiple occasions, in scenarios where the conflict was so acrimonious that even his client believed intense litigation was the only recourse. As a result of Bob’s innately creative problem-solving skills, he has taken seemingly impossible situations and helped make resolution possible.
Prior to practicing law, Bob served as an analytical chemist in the oil and natural gas industry, where he conducted analysis on soil and water for environmental contamination, directed tests on fuel recovery, and designed a fuel recovery system.
When he is not in the office, Bob is likely pursuing his second career as an “International Golf Ambassador,” a title given to him by friends and colleagues around the globe.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers, Patent Law, 2016-2022
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, “Committee of the Year” Award on behalf of the Asian Practice Committee, 2017 and 2020
- American Association of Minority Patent Practitioners, Advisory Board
- American Chemical Society
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Asian Practice Committee, Vice Chairman
- Licensing Executive Society of America
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association
- Oakland Christian School, Board Member, Development Committee Chairman
J.D., Michigan State University / DCL, 1990
B.S., Chemistry, University of Detroit, 1987
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office